Our communities are in crisis.
- One in every 31 U.S. adults was in prison or jail, or on probation or parole, at the end of 2007.
- Jails and prisons are overcrowded. Prisons are currently at 144 percent of capacity.
- The national recidivism rate averages nearly 67%, varying little from state to state.
The effect this has on our communities is staggering. That is why organizations like Straight Talk Program, Inc. are stepping forward to make a difference.
By focusing on prisoner reform and ex-offender reentry, we are helping to reunite families, make our streets safer, and reduce the number of people in the prison system.
Here are a few of the many ways you can make a difference
- Volunteer: We always need help with things like event planning, research, and fundraising. We would love to have your help!
- Help Spread the Word: The boarder our reach, the more people we can help. By sharing our mission with others, you help us reach not only those who can help, but also those who need our help.
- Share Your Story: Our Mobile Speakers Bureau allows ex-offenders to share their stories with at-risk youth. The lessons you have learned can help motivate others to make important changes in their lives.
- Be an Intern: Provide much needed guidance to parents and teens.
- In-Kind Donations: Often our teens and families need things that we may take for granted—clothes, school supplies, computers, etc.
- Monetary Donations: Our program is grateful for the help it receives from others. Every little bit helps. All donations are tax deductible.